Buying and installing a 220-volt window air conditioner requires you to consider these important parameters:
- Window air conditioners will not run if the electricity supply and requirements of the device – the ampere, wattage, and the voltage – does not match up thoroughly. Hence, before proceeding with installation, it is advisable that you have a specialized electrician to undertake the job of electrical wiring for the purpose.
- Air-conditioners that have higher cooling capacities – more than 15.000 BTU – typically run on 220volts.
- BTU stands for British Thermal Units, and it is a unit for thermal energy. It is used for measuring the cooling capacity of an air conditioner. The BTU of the AC has a direct relation with the space that the ac is required to cool. For areas that are larger than 700 sq. ft. the cooling capacity rises beyond 15,000 BTUs. This means that for a larger area you need a 220-volt air conditioner.
- BTU is typically calculated, taking into account the ceiling height, the amount of sunlight that enters the room, and the number of people staying inside the room.
- Besides, the BTU, one also needs to ensure that energy star-rated air conditioners are bought and installed. Higher energy ratings use about ten times less energy than a standard air conditioner. This means that it is more energy-efficient than a standard one and helps save electricity costs. They are also considered to be eco-friendly.
- It is important to check the electrical requirements of the ac unit before buying. The common window ACs run on 115, 125, and 220 volt. The average current required is between 15 to 20 Amp.
- For a 220-volt window air conditioner, the standard power outlet will not suffice. Since there are larger units and require higher power, they need to have a dedicated line and connection to operate and handle the requirement of electrical supply.
- When installing a new dedicated connection for such an air conditioner, it is important to take help from an electrician who will ensure proper wattage, and voltage specifications are met and also ensure that the plug type used is as mentioned in the manual.