A 240-volt AC generator is an efficient solution if your area experiences power outages. It can supply electricity to your essential appliances. However, like any other piece of electrical equipment, AC generators come with some safety hazards. Their engine exhausts can release dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide that may cause dizziness, nausea, and shortness of breath. This is why it’s important to understand how to use your 240-volt AC generator safely. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning
It’s relatively simple to avoid CO poisoning when you’re using an AC generator. The key is never to use the equipment indoors, as the toxic gas cannot be detected with smell or sight.
Keep your generator outside and away from doors and windows that can allow carbon monoxide to enter your premises. And, if possible, install a CO detector on every level of your home.
If your CO detector alerts you to the presence of the gas, immediately move to a location with fresh air, such as outdoors or by an open window.
Preventing shock and electrocution
In addition to keeping your 240-volt AC generator outside, make sure it’s not exposed to harsh elements or weather conditions. You want the equipment to stay dry as possible, so avoid operating it during the rain. Furthermore, do not touch it with wet hands.
Before turning on your generator, make sure its cords do not have any cuts and tears. It’s also best to avoid “backfeeding” or plugging the equipment into an outlet.
Finally, always ensure that the generator is turned off before you refill its fuel. Otherwise, spilled gasoline can come in contact with hot engine parts and start a fire.
Additionally, store your fuel in an approved safety can and keep it away from flammable objects.
Another way to ensure your safety at home is by investing in a high-quality 240-volt AC generator sold by trusted suppliers. Don’t forget to check the product’s reviews and features before purchasing and thoroughly inspect it upon delivery