If rice is a staple in your household, it is hard to imagine life without an electric rice cooker. A rice cooker will not only make the process of cooking rice much faster—it also ensures that the rice always comes out perfect, never burnt or undercooked. It also makes cooking stress-free since this automatic appliance not only cooks the rice but also keeps it warm. So, how do you choose the best electric rice cookers? Here are some tips:
- Size matters – Rice cookers size ranges 3 cups to 10 cups. Don’t make the mistake of buying a cooker that is too big for the amount of rice you usually cook. Rice cookers are designed to function properly only when there is enough rice and water weighing it down.
- Indicator lights – Make sure the rice cooker you buy comes with a lighted display. The indicators should quickly tell you if the rice is still cooking or is already done.
- Warm feature – Most rice cookers have a ‘warm’ option wherein the appliance automatically switches to the warm mode after the rice gets cooked. This feature will ensure that the rice stays hot for hours. Some cheaper rice cookers automatically turn off when it’s done cooking, leaving you with cold rice.
- Measurement markings in the inner vessel – Rice cookers should have measurement markings inside their bowl. This can guide you in putting in the perfect amount of water.
- Non-stick pan – Choose a rice cooker that has a non-stick coated cooking vessel or pan. This way, cleaning becomes easy.
- Clear lids – Rice cookers with clear glass lids are ideal since you can see if the rice is cooking properly without having to lift the lid up each time you want to check.
Do you want to steam vegetables in your rice cooker? Then it makes sense to choose a model with a steamer tray or basket. This is a perforated metal tray that you can put above the rice so that the vegetables get steamed as the rice cooks.